[ale] What divides Linux Distros?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Feb 5 18:36:29 EST 2021

On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 05:01:46PM -0500, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> Who said freedom was my main criteria? The freedom I really appreciate
> is freedom to DIY.

...then how-the-f can you say "I'd prefer a Mac" instead?  Apple is
pretty much the antithesis of DIY, both in what is technically possible
and in that they are actively hostile towards those that wish to do so.

> remember, Centos which is supposedly a no-paid-support version of Red
> Hat, had packages for only 2 or 3 WMDEs (Window Manager/Desktop
> Environment) out of the literally tens of great WMDEs. Anything
> else, you'll need to compile from scratch. With freedom like that,
> tyranny doesn't sound so bad.

FWIW, this comes across a pretty petulant whine. "Red Hat doesn't
provide me exactly what I claim to want so I'm going to go with an
option that competely precludes my ever getting what I claim to want"

> Freedom? You try ripping out systemd and replacing it with Runit on
> Red Hat products. Oh, it can be done, I've done it, but what a royal
> pain in the ass.

As the saying goes, Freedom isn't Free.

BTW, sure sounds like you had the freedom to alter "Red Hat products" to
be more in line with what you wanted.

> There's nothing on my Jeep that's "free", but I still drive it.

Sure.  But I'll bet you didn't buy that Jeep after going to a Porsche
dealer and rejecting everything on their lot for having crappy handling
and a lot of wind noise.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)