[ale] 10.1.10.1 Comcast access from local LAN? (Slightly OT BUT there is Ubuntu AND PI involved!)

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Fri Feb 5 12:10:57 EST 2021

Thanks.  I was hoping that was the case.  Otherwise 30 years of TCP/IP
experience goes down the drain.

I'm thinking just the route on the Comcast side?   The church router
already has a default route to it.

regards,

Neal

On 2021-02-05 11:01, Boris Borisov wrote:
> You should be able to access 10.10.10.x from 192.168.x.x.  you need
> static route for that. Tier 3 obviously wrong.
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2021, 11:55 Boris Borisov <bugyatl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Didn't get the whole network diagram.
>>
>> But attach old raspi to the Cisco and wifi adapter to the raspi in
>> AP mode. You can wifi to raspi.
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 5, 2021, 11:45 Neal Rhodes via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Our church has a Business Comcast DPC3939 connected to Our little
>>> Cisco RV 180 VPN.
>>>
>>> The Comcast has a local IP of 10.1.10.1, and the WAN Static
>>> Address of
>>> 50.248.230.105.
>>>
>>> Our Cisco router has a WAN address of 50.248.230.106, and it
>>> supports a
>>> 192.168.1.X network behind that, which is where everything on the
>>> LAN
>>> lives.
>>>
>>> INTERNET==>Comcast DPC3939 <===>Our Cisco RV180VPN<====Our
>>> 192.168.1.X LAN <==JackTrip Raspberry Pi Virtual Studio
>>> 50.248.230.105
>>> 50.248.230.106
>>> <== Everything else on the LAN
>>> 10.1.10.1
>>> |== Ubuntu JackTrip Audio Server
>>>
>>> 10.1.10.91
>>> Port Forwarding 4464,
>>> UDP 61002-62000
>>>
>>> We really need to do a couple of things:
>>> - our office administrators need to occasionally be able to http
>>> access the Comcast router from our 192.168.1.X LAN.  They cannot.
>>> Any attempt
>>> times out.  (Fun fact: you CAN http to 50.248.230.105, and get a
>>> login response, BUT the correct userid/password will result in a
>>> Password failure.  It only allows login from the 10.1.10.1
>>> address.)
>>> - we need for ME to be able to occassionally get an ssh session
>>> from an office PC TO the Ubuntu server.   Similar challenge I
>>> think.
>>> - The Raspberry Pi Virtual Studio box in the sanctuary needs to
>>> connect to the Ubuntu server on port 4464.   I think it can hit
>>> the external address of the Comcast router for that.   I've got
>>> that port forwarding all working now at home with a UVerse router.
>>>

>>> We can access the Comcast Router as http://10.1.10.1 IF we go
>>> downstairs to the furnace room and plug into the LAN ports on the
>>> DPC3939.  The PC will then get a 10.1.10.X address.
>>>
>>> Now, when I look at the DPC3939, I see no evidence that it has a
>>> static route for our LAN.  So, when someone on, say 192.168.1.145
>>> puts
>>> 10.1.10.1 in their browser, the PC hands it to our Cisco router,
>>> it knows it's not on our LAN, so it hands it to its gateway: the
>>> DPC3939.
>>>
>>> And then I THINK the DPC3939 then says, "I don't know where to
>>> send 192.168.1.145" and so it times out.
>>>
>>> I THINK the Comcast router needs a static route that says
>>> 192.168.1.X is behind our Cisco router: 50.248.230.106.
>>>
>>> Am I thinking right?  I don't mind stuffing in the route myself,
>>> but I asked Comcast first, since it's their equipment.   Tier 1
>>> said, "no that's not possible".  Tier 3 response was:
>>>
>>> _1- you need to know, in order for two local networks to
>>> communicate they have to be in the same lan scheme, either both
>>> 192.168.x.x or 10.1.x.x_
>>>
>>> _2-  My suggestion is to change the local IP scheme for Comcast
>>> modem/router to match the other router _
>>> _192.168.1.X_
>>> _ _
>>> _3- Make sure the IP scope of the modem is not conflicting with
>>> the other router._
>>> _ _
>>> _For example if the other router IP scope is from 192.168.1.1 to
>>> 192.168.1.100 then make the modem DHCP  192.168.1.101 to
>>> 192.168.1.200. Same lan scheme different IP scope to avoid future
>>> issues._
>>>
>>> The Tier 3 response sounds insane to me; if I'm on 192.168.1.145,
>>> and I want to send data to 192.168.1.4, my IP stack will just put
>>> it out on the LAN wire.   The Comcast router is never going to see
>>> that,  'cause it's connected to the WAN port on our router.    The
>>> only way my gateway would get involved is when a workstation knows
>>> that the destination is NOT on the local network, and hence the
>>> packet needs to get passed to the gateway.  The Tier 3 response
>>> also seems to open up all kinds of security issues if it in fact
>>> worked; then a compromise to anything on the Comcast side could
>>> easily bleed into our LAN.
>>>
>>> What is kinda weird to me is that at home this "just works".  I
>>> have an AT&T Uverse router which provides 192.168.1.X.  I have a
>>> Sonicwall VPN router plugged into that, which provides a LAN of
>>> 192.168.100.X.   The linux and PC devices are on the 100.X
>>> network.   There are a few expendable devices and IOT on the 1.1