[ale] SMTP recommendation?

Bob Toxen transam at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Dec 8 10:10:52 EST 2021

I find Sendmail, with all its warts, easier to install and maintain
than Postfix but then I've been managing it since shortly after
I knew Eric Allman at Berkeley ;^)

I find Postfix annoying and time consuming to install and maintain
but then I've not used it much.

On Mon, Dec 06, 2021 at 05:48:26PM -0500, James Sumners (ALE) via Ale wrote:
> It's been many years since I've dealt with setting up an SMTP server to
actually send mail all over the Internet. But I find myself in a bit of
an annoyance with my mail provider. The short version is they support an
incoming catch all feature that will deliver mail for any unrecognized
recipient to a designated mailbox, e.g. for foobar at example.com,
'footer' isn't a known recipient so that mail will be delivered to
catchall at example.com; but they do not support _sending_ as any sender. I
use this catchall to register accounts, e.g. amazon at example.com or
some-random-site at example.com, so that I can see exactly who has decided
to ignore my opt-out preferences or is selling my email address. But
sometimes I need to send an email as that identity so that I can get
support, and my provider isn't supporting it. So I want to setup my
own SMTP server that only sends mail and will send as any sender for
the domain I have configured as the allowed domain.