[ale] SMTP recommendation?

DJPfulio at jdpfu.com DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Dec 6 21:27:05 EST 2021

I think postfix only cares if you use authentication for the end-user address.  If you have trusted systems that don't need to be authenticated to send, then you can make the "FROM" and reply-to anything you like.  Thunderbird has an "identities" setting to do this.

The way I do it is by never allowing senders from my domains to send from outside the approved systems.  So JDPfu.com email can only originate from systems inside the LAN.  The email gateway, running postfix, doesn't access any authenticated email - just server-to-server stuff on port 25/tcp.  Then, another system inside does all the IMAPS and SMTPS stuff for LAN clients.

I run the email-gateway in an LXD container. Works well. Very fast, but it is bloated, since it runs Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS - cloud image. Ubuntu is sorta bloated in the cloud image area.

$ df -Th
Filesystem           Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
lxd/containers/spam1 zfs        11G  1.8G  9.2G  17% /

It definitely isn't alpine.  Hummmm Bet I could get alpine to use less than 300MB.

But there are 50 different ways to solve this, I'm sure.