[ale] How would you ....

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Apr 30 22:39:36 EDT 2021

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

For Linux, ansible seemed the easiest answer:

$ ansible -a "lsblk -e 7 -o name,size,type,fstype,mountpoint" cur |egrep '=|crypt'

This provides not only the systems with LUKS containers, but also a list of all the systems, so the ones without encryption can be hunted down. Some sample output:

nextcloud | CHANGED | rc=0 >>
posc | CHANGED | rc=0 >>
└─sda3                          464.6G part  crypto_LUKS
  └─sda3_crypt                  464.6G crypt LVM2_member
osmc | CHANGED | rc=0 >>
vpn | UNREACHABLE! => {
pi3 | UNREACHABLE! => {

I need to check out the Windows answers, but I've heard ansible works on Windows, though I've never gotten it working. Something about signed powershell scripts. I didn't think to ask which method of encryption is being used. It might not be bitlocker. Could be veracrypt or something else.

Thought about using the
$ ansible -m setup cur | egrep '=>|crypt'
nextcloud | SUCCESS => {
posc | SUCCESS => {
                    "dm-name-sda3_crypt",
                    "dm-uuid-CRYPT-LUKS1-f67e63db81114836aff8f2dcb9bb32fc-sda3_crypt",
                        "dm-name-sda3_crypt",
                        "dm-uuid-CRYPT-LUKS1-f67e63db81114836aff8f2dcb9bb32fc-sda3_crypt",
                            "sda3_crypt"
vpn | UNREACHABLE! => {
pi3 | UNREACHABLE! => {
osmc | SUCCESS => {

Not nearly as nice, but with ansible-cmdb output, managers will feel like they can check the work of the admins doing the scripting.