[ale] Fully Automatic Install

Tod Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 09:35:24 EDT 2021

My boss asked me to look into alternatives to FAI, Fully Automatic
Installs. We are not at all unhappy with FAI. It's just that I am
retiring soon and they don't know if they are going to be able to
replace me. FAI depends heavily upon scripting and it is not clear that
my employer will be able to hire a programmer. We have about a hundred
Linux desktops to update every 6 months.

Does anybody use something other than FAI for Debian/Ubuntu installs? I
already googled it and it doesn't look like there is anything else. I
thought I'd ask here just to make sure I've done all I can. The Debian
wiki lists just the Debian installer itself, FAI, and some stuff for Red
Hat.

PS: I told my boss they are going to have to find another disabled
person to take my place. I was only half joking. They'll never be able
to find a normal person to do my job at what they are paying me. Maybe
they can find somebody with a felony record or something.

###

Tod