[ale] OS or Hardware issue?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 13:46:55 EDT 2021

I don't rename them anymore. I mangled out a few scripts that would automate the mac address to bus name pairing and uuid to dev/sdX for me. Now everything I do is lvm for drives and like the matrix, I just 'see' the nic name now. For hardware I know well, I can tell what slot it's in by the name. Dmidecode is an invaluable tool for this stuff.

Now if I could find a tape measure in my home shop using similar methods...

On April 21, 2021 11:28:29 AM EDT, Steve Litt via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>Jim Kinney said on Wed, 21 Apr 2021 07:26:05 -0400
>
>>Ha! Nice device name. :-)
>>
>>It takes a bit to get used to but the name based on device tree
>>attachment makes sense to me. It's easier now to see which nic is on
>>the mobo and which is the add-in card.
>
>:-)
>
>Jim, we usually don't agree on the new Freedesktop.org breed of
>software, but in this case we do. On the Devuan mailing list I posted a
>shellscript to turn en5pq42usuck441 into eth0 or whatever. This
>shellscript can be used in any script-based process supervisor, such as
>s6 or runit. For key/value style process managers like systemd or
>Epoch, you could easily create environment variable ETH0, WLAN0, etc
>very early in the boot, and use them in your key-value pairs.
>
>The new network naming solves a real problem in a reasonable way. As a
>little boy last century, the old pros who were able to grow a beard
>warned me: "Never use two network cards of the same kind, or eth0 and
>eth1 will switch indeterminately." I never had it happen
>indeterminately, but several times had it happened after software
>updates or hardware changes.
>
>Now that I can grow a beard of my own, I appreciate the new naming
>scheme. Yeah, it's complicated, but nothing a simple shellscript can't
>straighten out, and I know I can always figure out what's what.
>
>The same is true of substituting disk UUID for /dev/sd?. Yeah, it takes
>a little more work, but I, and all my shellscripts, know what's what,
>and run less of a risk of a shellscript formatting the wrong device.
>
>SteveT
>
>Steve Litt
>Spring 2021 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful
>Technologist http://www.troubleshooters.com/techniques

Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool