[ale] OS or Hardware issue?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Apr 21 01:40:30 EDT 2021

Leam Hall via Ale said on Tue, 20 Apr 2021 09:23:57 -0400

>I'm quite in the opposite camp. Using devices simplifies support for
>the base OS. Using LVM is nice when things might move, and you know
>you'll have a fully operational OS and LVM suite going.
>
>If a kernel changes the device order, that really seems like a bug.

It's a bug that's been happening since before the turn of the century.
This is why its best to use the UUID designation in /etc/fstab. It's
also why they created these device names like en5pq42usuck441, that
depend on the physical hardware port the device is plugged into.

SteveT

Steve Litt