[ale] [ALE] OT Sort of

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Mon Apr 12 07:13:11 EDT 2021

Yesterday we mostly got a soil moisture checker/plant watering processor
working to keep our garden bed watered when we are out of town.  It uses
a micro:bit integrated computer.  The "program" is visually constructed
by dragging blocks around, and it generates .... Javascript.   Once you
pair the micro:bit to MicroSoft MakeCode, you click a button in the dang
browser to download the code to the micro:bit.   You can simulate the
operation from makeCode, running in the browser.

Part of me has to applaud how easy this whole eco-system has made it for
teacher and children to pretend they are "coding", and solve real-world
problems.

Part of me is thinking they gonna get whomped upside the head if they
think this is the real world of computers.

We have deployed 10 Raspberry Pi JackTrip Virtual Studio boxes to
musicians houses.  Frankly, I was delighted to just flash a microSD with
a pre-built image, stuff it in, and it "just works".   I was also glad
that I could SSH to the boxes to adjust and use 30 years of linux
knowledge.

We use OctoPrint to manage the 3d printers at Decatur Makers.  I am
similarly thrilled when we can actually click on their Update box... and
the update actually works!  Unlike our Centos 6 server at home.
aaaaaaaaaaaaamd then you try to update firmware on a CReality printer,
which is an Arduino processor, and the balloon rapidly comes back down
to earth.

Heck, we installed the latest Ubuntu 10.X on a Dell desktop 4 months
ago, and the dang X display was bat-crap.  Here we go again - every dang
linux install can't seem to default the X display to something that
works.  Fortunately people on this forum pointed me in the right
direction on boot time parameters to force it to stock VGA.

BTW, I still have the Bell Labs unix manuals at home.

regards,

Neal