[ale] We Win, We Win!!!

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Tue Apr 6 06:53:01 EDT 2021

On Tue, Apr 06, 2021 at 02:22:57AM -0400, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> How did we win? How does one pick sides between two gigantic asshole
> monopolies? I mean yeah, I despise Ellison, but Google's not my nominee
> for citizen of the year.

Because regardless of how you feel about the litigants, one side
(Oracle) is clearly "wrong".  Oracle was effectively trying to extend
patent-like rights to copyright (ie protecting "ideas"), which would
have resulted in an ummitigated disaster for the entire software
industry.  And had ripple effects well beyond that.

(Ironically one of the losers would be Oracle, as two of their flagship
 products are reimplementations of APIs created by Amazon and IBM,
 respectively.  On the Linux front, the carcass-of-SCO lawsuits would
 suddenly gain real teeth -- After all, who actually "owns" specific
 UNIX APIs?  And so forth..)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)