[ale] We Win, We Win!!!

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Apr 5 21:58:05 EDT 2021

On Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 09:23:29PM -0400, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
> Good for developers and companies. Just think of all the back-pay
> lawsuits that would begin had Oracle won. Do you have a license for
> Intel's assembly language? What about C? Or the GPU APIs? These are
> copyrights ... so isn't that effectively 125 yrs?

Don't forget that quite a few of those lawsuits would land on Oracle's
doorstep.  For example, they cloned the Amazon cloud APIs.  And perhaps
more poignantly, this little thing called SQL that was originally
invented by IBM... who has forgotten more about legal shenanigans than
Oracle has evern known.

> And the bad side?  We can't see Java die, die, die.

Eh, it's better than the abombination that is Javascript.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			      pizza at shaftnet dot org (email&xmpp)
                                      @pizza:shaftnet dot org   (matrix)