[ale] I need one of these

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 12:21:06 EDT 2020

And toner from a 55 gallon drum.

I once saw a commercial credit card statement printing rig. Throughput was measured in linear feet per second and that number had almost 3 digits. Wide carriage dot matrix that was a head the full width of the paper path so no movement required except by the paper. Paper delivered by forklift.
At around 90 feet per second the refold was by air jets.
I was asked to fix the serial port connection feeding one of these. Testing wasted at least a tree. Finally found rodent damage in a wall. The other printers were next to fail. Reran new wires through a 3" steel conduit in the wall and capped off. Swapped over each end and got paid. Got called back when they switched to ethernet from serial. They were super happy I had run cat 5 as the change was new ends plus a switch.

--
Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool