[ale] Possible move afoot...

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 16:47:55 EDT 2020

Hmm.  The OnePlus 8 -- in fact, everything after and including the OnePlus
6 -- lacks a 2.5 mm headphone jack. That's a Deal Killer for me.

I am still very fond of my LG V20 running LineageOS 14.  A little dated now
but the replaceable batteries are still available, so you won't be forced
to replace it just because the battery poops out.  If you buy one already
locked to a provider you'll have to use an Exploit to root it in order to
install Lineage.  The Lineage build I have on it now works flawlessly
except for Speaker Mode, which won't un-mute the microphone. Good to Mint
models run $100-$150 on Swappa ( https://swappa.com ).

My current daily driver is a Teracube One ( https://myteracube.com/ ). Easy
to find on Amazon and relatively cheap at $300 new. Comes with Android 9
although 10 is promised later. So far it lacks Lineage support.  Rooting it
with MagickSK is easy, although you will have to re-Root ( and
factory-reset ) if you apply an OTA update. GSM only, so it won't work with
CDMA networks like Verizon. I don't like the permanent battery nor the
glass back. Except for those caveats it is a decent phone. The next model
allegedly will have a removable battery.

Other phones I looked at:

Librem 5 ( https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/ )  This one uses a
non-Android kernel. Very intriguing. Not really in production yet though.
Fairphone 3 ( https://shop.fairphone.com/en/ )  Not easily available in the
USA.  May not be compatible with US carriers.  Hardware is really easy to
fix or upgrade. Removable battery.

-- CHS