[ale] [Semi-OT] DIY Airstream living, nice technology

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 10:24:49 EDT 2020

I was surprised when traveling to Canada from NY at being asked if I was bringing any weapons of any kind including guns. The Canadian border guard had a sense of humor and smiled when I replied "No weapons of any kind other than a phone number for an office full of eager lawyers.".

On September 6, 2020 7:50:45 AM EDT, DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>There's a completely different world of low-power devices made for RVs.
>
>A number of IT people have moved off-the-grid.
>
>There are conference talks about it. Remember one a few years ago at
>CarolinaCon. Usually, it goes like this:
>* Tired of corporate life
>* Started second job doing work for a few clients. Got those clients to
>    recommend them to other businesses. Too much working.
>* Only worked after hours for the new clients, so they were used to
> not seeing me. Always made appointments well in advance and kept them.
>* Bought Van/Small RV/Huge RV, and went "camping" from home for the
>first
>year to learn the systems, figure out power, water, sewer use patterns,
>   tried solar charging, but ended up with batteries and a generator.
>* Bought lowest power use devices - laptop, monitor, tablet, and mifi.
>    We share devices.
>* Tried different service providers for data. They all suck outside
>    well-traveled areas.
>* Need "full hookups" a few days a week with electric, water, sewer,
>and
>    good wifi to recharge everything fully, get online and patch. More
>  often in a smaller setup for showers, etc. Less often with bigger RV.
>* Love traveling from place to place, seeing parts of N.A. few people
>    see. If planning a Canadian trip, expect a long border search for
> firearms. All Americans have guns, especially from the south or Texas.
>* Forget about taking an RV into Mexico for many reasons.
>

>On 9/6/20 5:23 AM, Jim via Ale wrote:
>> I think this family has: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDCIx5JpEgs
>>
>> On 9/5/20 2:35 PM, Leam Hall via Ale wrote:
>>> Family of six lives off grid, and the dad is in IT. Some nice
>>> networking technology. I wonder if it could be improved?
>>>
>>> https://youtu.be/I-_sCao236g

Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool