[ale] Where have all the computer store gone

Jeffrey Layton laytonjb at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 07:13:44 EDT 2020

I moved to the Atlanta area in 1998 (Roswell). I moved from a very small
town about 5 miles from the northern NY border. 15,000 with both
universities in session. Everything was mail-order. Canada didn't have any
good computer stores and Syracuse (about 2-3 hours away) didn't really have
anything.

M\n Roswell, my wife would sometimes let me prowl the computer stores on
the weekends. CompUSA, Computer City, Microcenter, etc.I was in heaven or
like a pig in slop. I would buy a Computer Shopper and study it all
weekend. Then on Mondays at Lockheed all of us engineers would share our
observations of the Computer Shopper. For a geek, I enjoyed every minute of
it.

If someone bought something we had to learn all the reasons why they bought
it, did they like it, what are the pros and cons? The biggest discussion
was saved for hard drives :)  When a drive died it was like everyone had a
drive die. When a drive died we spent lots of time discussing the brand,
the model, the specs, and speculating on why it died.

Now I buy on-line when I have to or go to Microcenter. Microcenter is my
only saving grace. Sometimes I pick up an item in the store that I have
been eyeing but is maybe not on the family budget. I walk around with it
for a while and I feel better. I know that sounds weird but I can't do that
with mail-order.

I don't buy much from Amazon. If I buy on-line it is usually from Newegg
although I've had trouble with them. It's not the same as buying things in
store but it's where we are (sadly).

Sigh...

Jeff