[ale] Where have all the computer store gone

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Oct 16 14:56:14 EDT 2020

On 2020-10-16 14:03, Chuck Payne via Ale wrote:

> So being here in Atlanta since 93, one thing I use to enjoy was going
> to computer stores, like

I used to make a "pilgrimage" about once a quarter to the other side of town (not in Atlanta) to the CompUSA, ComputerCity, Egghead, Microcenter and a mall with a few game stores. Near my home, we had EPO - Electronic Parts Outlet - which I suppose other people drove 45-90 minutes to visit. EPO charged fair prices. They had a few computer parts, but mostly electronic parts and kits. If you needed a resistor or capacitor, they had it.

Every 3-6 months, there was a new $16 Walnut Creek 6-CD set released with the new Linux distros. I ran slackware back then.  And OS/2 ;)  They easily fit on a 240MB HDD.

Ordering by mail was basically an trust exercise.  Find the company, maybe call them first for $1.25/min, hand write a letter with a parts list, qty, price, total, calculate tax yourself, write a check and put all tat into the mail. If something was out of stock, they'd try to figure out your intention and provide a replacement. Sometimes they'd trow in a couple extra things. Sometimes great and other times useless.

4-6 weeks later a package would show up. It was always just about the time you'd forgotten about the order. Lots of people and businesses didn't accept credit cards. Had a friend who resold Unix CAD workstations and was happy to run my PC hardware purchases though his company and provide expert advice on the trade offs for the different hardware. He convinced me to get a 486/dx, for example.