[ale] Where have all the computer store gone

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Oct 16 14:41:13 EDT 2020

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 14:03:24 -0400
Chuck Payne via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> /please read with tune Peter, Paul and Mary in mind
>
> So being here in Atlanta since 93, one thing I use to enjoy was going
> to computer stores, like
>
> Delta Computer near Osais
> The many Chinese/Korean Computer Shops along Jimmy Carter Blvd.
> There was that odd shop in Alpharetta that sold computer stuff that
> was from trucks that were damaged.
> Tiger Direct up in Jefferson ( Now Amazon warehouse )
>
> Where are all the computer stores, has Amazon really killed mom/pop
> computer store?

As a society, we reap what we sow. Remember, starting maybe 15 years
ago, going into a retail establishment, seeing these hipsters with
their hipster phones looking at the goods, the snapping a picture of
the bar code with their phone and submitting it to Amazon so they could
get it for 5% less?

Well, the chickens have come home to roost. The retail stores couldn't
make it as Amazon's showroom, they closed down, and now you can't even
see details about what you're ordering, or ask a salesman. As soon as
Amazon has driven out all competitors, they'll do what every monopoly
does, and raise their prices higher than any of their former
competitors.

Now there are even buy before you try used car web businesses. No test
drive. WTF???

I haven't bought a new computer in 6 years, even though my Daily Driver
Desktop (DDD) is too slow to handle today's bloated browsers. Every time
I contemplate buying RAM, CPU, CPU cooler, Mobo, case online, and
knowing there's no authoritative person to say "yes, this works with
that", or show me a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do, I
just delay the purchase to next year.

And don't get me started about doing electronic projects without your
local Radio Shack.

It's sad, but as a society we deserve it. Except for eBooks for my
proprietary Kindle, I never buy from Amazon. I want to be part of the
solution, not part of the problem.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive