[ale] [Semi-OT] Second WiFi in the house?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Oct 9 13:21:28 EDT 2020

On 2020-10-09 11:46, Leam Hall via Ale wrote:
> I'm not sure any of my current network gear supplies PoE, and the
> phones are likely not strong signals as they are older, too.

PoE injectors are provided w/ ubiquiti kits. The older ones at least.
Buying last-gen gets cheaper prices. If you care about ecurity, use a VPN
with all wifi, regardless.

> The current setup is:   Cable ->  SurfBoard SB 6141  -> ASUS RT-N66R
> (wifi) -> Linksys EZXS88W (for internal lab)

It that Asus still getting regular patches? Since switching to OPNsense,
I don't worry about having patches available or needing to buy new physical
router every 4-6 rs s support drops.  OTOH, Asus is under mandated FCC
oversight for their routers and has become a near model for firmware updates
since that ruling.

> The reality is I probably need to upgrade more than just "add an
> AP", but that was part of what I wasn't sure about. The house isn't
> that big, nor is it concrete, but phones lose connection from 15
> yards away.

15 yards LoS or going thru 3 thick walls?

I'm not a fan of wifi bridges. There are other options to reliably extend
networks inside house.  Powerline ethernet and MoCa if rooms have COAX
already. I think MoCa provides more bandwidth, but you may need filters
to keep it only in your house and/or to share with CATV or ISP or other coax
signals on the same wires.