[ale] In case you missed it

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Wed Oct 7 15:16:10 EDT 2020

Data sets often have more columns than are supported by relational
databases like Oracle (1000) or Postgres (1600).  I tried using scidb,
which is a database by Mike Stonebraker, the database architecture guru,
but it wasn't at all polished, and I probably wouldn't use it again.

You can use Python's numpy or something, and let your RAM constrain the
size of your data, loading all the data at once from a file.  You can try
to use sparse data structures ...

I don't see a lot of easy answers for persistent-storage-backed arbitrarily
shaped tensor data with fast on-demand paging to RAM (that is smarter than
the Linux page cache would be).  Usually people use RAM, loading the data
into RAM and doing what they want next.  There are some promising
developments in Tensorflow, though:
https://www.tensorflow.org/guide/data_performance

All that to say that the story reflects the dangers of using a tool beyond
its limits, and all tools have limits, including databases.

  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>