[ale] Containers

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 08:55:32 EDT 2020

Why one application per container? Why not one container per project?

Take the basic web pile: web gui front end , logic layer, and backend database. The only part that changes in use is the data stored by the backend. Pre-container days it all ran on a single host. Or virtual host. Or maybe the database ran on a beefy system and multiple front/logic layers fed it.

If the project requires multiple parts to run, why not put them all in a single container? Assuming, of course, the size of things makes sense.

I ask because I've run into the issue where a critical application, composed of multiple containers across multiple hosts fails because a host is rebooted, a network issue, other normal problems.
--
Computers amplify human error
Super computers are really cool