[ale] Need a better Linux distro

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Sat May 30 12:38:28 EDT 2020

Gentoo's default init system remains openrc for now; systemd is an
option and iirc was one of the first distros to support it through
regular channels. I run three Gentoo desktop systems; two are KDE (one
is rather abandoned-in-place-but-running in my office at GT) and one is
XFCE, I think. I warn you: a default KDE rig needs at least 8GiB
physical RAM to build a couple of packages, qtwebkit and qtwebengine,
without deliberately throttling back the build's parallel threading. At
8GiB I'm okay at -j3; you need -j1 at 4GiB and it'll take a couple days.
As for your list, I can speak to Firefox/Firefox-bin, LibreOffice,
Brother printers, and Hexchat.

I won't say that Gentoo is without issues or that it's easy, but I do
know - having worked Red-Hat-alikes in the past - that there are simply
whole classes of issues that most Linux folks seem to have all the time
that are simply not part of my life.

Gentoo is essentially a frighteningly capable package management system
that has been configured to generate a Linux platform. It will take a
while to get really good at it (although I've been a Gentoo user for
upwards of 20 years now and I *still* don't feel like I'm good at it). A
fully working build system is implicit; at this point most packages
require gcc but some require clang. The package management system
(Portage) is Python-based. I run file and PostgreSQL servers; on desktop
I'm usually on some combination of LibreOffice, GIMP, Inkscape, RStudio,
Firefox, Kate, pgadmin, and QGIS. I'm probably one of the few people who
has gotten Hadoop up and running on Gentoo Linux; new worker nodes
automatically set themselves up (plug 'em in, make 'em PXE-boot, stand
back - new node after reboot).