[ale] Firewalls and UPNP

Robert L. Harris robert.l.harris at gmail.com
Mon May 4 11:48:13 EDT 2020

They only use one, but they could use any of a large range.  Which I could
see, if there are 3 people in one NAT using the same software, it may want
different ports because someone else is using it at that moment.

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 9:46 AM Boris Borisov <bugyatl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why would communication software needs multiple ports open. Just asking.
>
> On Mon, May 4, 2020, 11:05 AM Robert L. Harris via Ale <ale at ale.org>
> wrote:
>

>> So my son and I work at the same company and for team meetings we're
>> using discord.  I'm trying to set up so we can use Discord in the house
>> behind the NAT.  Discord it seems though wants a massive range of ports
>> forwarded directly from the firewall to my PC, which means he can't use
>> it.  Supposedly it'll work with UPnP though.  I tried using miniupnpd, but
>> that seems to not work correctly with my iptables.
>>
>> Has anyone gotten miniupnp or similar working for things which need that
>> type of dynamic port forwarding? ( Ring doorbells? )
>>
>> Robert
>>

>> --
>> :wq!

:wq!
Robert L. Harris

DISCLAIMER:
       ALONE.  I speak for                      First One Should Be A Man
       no-one else.                                     - Manowar