[ale] [OT] Inbound web access using pfSense

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Sun Jun 28 21:33:47 EDT 2020

I tend to recommend putting certs on nginx and tomcat and go straight
:443, then let nginx redirect to 8443 on tomcat.
Is there a technical reason for not doing that?
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Jeff Hubbs via Ale <ale at ale.org> 6/28/2020 3:12 PM >>>
I already have nginx performing a redirect to the same machine's
Guacamole front end, which as you know is a Tomcat app. So the way I
have nginx configured now, when it is hit with
https://<nginx-guac_machine_ip_address>:80/wxyz nginx is converting
that
to http://127.0.0.1:8080/guacamole-1.1.0. So I've got two mechanisms in

series here, in order pfSense and nginx, that do mangling even without

making use of internet DNS and I'm trying to get the pfSense-nginx
transition sorted such that pfSense will make the intermediate
connection between itself and nginx and do so without breaking the
https
escalation.

On 6/28/20 7:20 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I don't think pfsense will handle the /xyz->/abc layer. That's just
> for the ngnx proxy.
>

> On June 28, 2020 1:00:54 AM EDT, Jeff Hubbs via Ale <ale at ale.org>
wrote:

>     Now that I've got a static IP (just one) I'm starting to work on
hosting
>     my own web servers and the first thing I'm trying to do is make a
nginx
>     and Apache Guacamole rig export Windows Server Remote Desktop
sessions
>     via HTML5 (that's the Guacamole part) out to people who come in
with a
>     URL I give them. I do not yet have internet DNS involved so the
URL I
>     plan to give to one person I want to demonstrate the capability
to will
>     have the form https://<internet_ip_address>/abcd.
>
>     I have all this set up behind a pfSense machine. From behind the
pfSense
>     machine, I can point a browser to a URL in the form of
>     http://<nginx-guac_machine_ip_address>/wxyz, log in to Guacamole,
and I
>     get an RDP session on the adjacent Windows server painted in the
browser
>     window. In fact, I've got nginx where if I start the URL with
http: it
>     will "auto-escalate" to https: using a self-signed certificate.
What I'm
>     unclear about is what needs to happen in pfSense such that 1)
someone