[ale] isp questions

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Jun 16 16:39:55 EDT 2020

On 2020-06-16 13:33, Derek Atkins wrote:

> On Tue, June 16, 2020 4:09 pm, Alex Carver via Ale wrote:
>>
>> I had seen that some time ago but it only works for the fiber service
>> where you have the ONT converting to Ethernet.  In my case I only have
>> copper service over the POTS lines so I can't do that with my service
>> that's why I resorted to the low expiration time on the connection
>> tracking table.  I get hammered constantly by probes and was getting
>> knocked off line fairly regularly with the old modem.
>
> Yes, this is a fiber hack.  You're right that it wouldn't work with DSL.
> The discussion of ONT (Optical Network Terminal) implied (to me) the use
> of fiber.  Granted, that was Sam, not you.  A copper terminal,
> technically, is not an ONT.

Yeah, the original topic involved copper lines rather than fiber.  The
fiber came in as a recommendation.

>> I can't get fiber unless I'm willing to shell out some cash >$10k to run
>> the fibers.
>
> OUCH!

If I can wait a bit longer they may have to upgrade the neighborhood on
their dime instead of mine.  Right now the copper system is very old and
deteriorating.  I've had to have the line crew out twice because the
pair I was on had degraded.  On the last visit the crew told me that the
neighborhood only had two spare pairs, all the others were in use.
Because of the two calls the two spares are gone and we're now with zero
spares.  They told me one more outage would force them to replace
everything because they would not have the spares.  So we'll see what
happens.