[ale] isp questions

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 11:08:24 EDT 2020

I think my stuff was unclear.

When pulling from a location that could saturate my pipe 3times over, it did not saturate.

When testing against a known, public speed test site, it saturated.

When running both at the same time, speed test was given priority.

All testing was done with a single system with a single 1g network line to the gateway device. That single line is fatter than my pipe. I can saturate that line in testing to other systems in my network.

If I run same testing but have 10G test on one outside IP and speed test on another, my line is closer to balanced - they keep bandwidth for all active connections - so the speed test values dropped.

On June 16, 2020 10:57:31 AM EDT, Derek Atkins via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

>On Tue, June 16, 2020 10:45 am, Jim Kinney wrote:
>> Most of the isp bandwidth testing is rigged. They know the test sites
>and
>> have super hot, super fast pipes to those. I ran some tests using a
>known
>> 10G pipe as supply with 10G data pump on it and my comcast commercial
>> maxed at about 1/2 my rated download speed. So I retested with same
>10G
>> source AND a typical speedtest (both running) and maxed out my link.
>The
>> 10G pull slowed to a crawl during higher priority (their decision,
>not
>> mine) test.
>
>Just curious:  Did you try using two pulls from two different devices
>on
>your network to the 10G source/pump to see if that would fill your
>link?
>It could be a single-stream limitation.
>
>-derek
>
>--
>       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>       derek at ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com
>       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

"no government by experts in which the masses do not have the chance to inform the experts as to their needs can be anything but an oligarchy managed in the interests of the few.” - John Dewey