[ale] isp questions

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 10:45:42 EDT 2020

Most of the isp bandwidth testing is rigged. They know the test sites and have super hot, super fast pipes to those. I ran some tests using a known 10G pipe as supply with 10G data pump on it and my comcast commercial maxed at about 1/2 my rated download speed. So I retested with same 10G source AND a typical speedtest (both running) and maxed out my link. The 10G pull slowed to a crawl during higher priority (their decision, not mine) test.

On June 16, 2020 9:55:10 AM EDT, Derek Atkins via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>Kamin Horvath via Ale <ale at ale.org> writes:
>
>> Hey all (first time replying here),
>>
>> I’m going through a similar decision at our new place. We have a
>choice of
>> xfinity or AT&T fiber and reading all this - I’m leaning more towards
>the
>> former.
>
>I was a comcast business class customer for a long time.  I am now an
>AT&T giga-fiber customer.  Here's my take:
>
>Comcast's network engineering is FAR superior to AT&T's.  They have
>better tech support and better peering.  However, you pay for that.  I
>was paying around $160/mo for IIRC 75/10 with a /29.
>
>With AT&T I've got ostensibly 1G/1G with a /29 and I'm paying a total
>of
>$85/mo.  HOWEVER, while I do see 950mb with speedtest, I feel the
>peering is worse and I only see 200-250mbps for any practical
>usage.  For example, if I use BitTorrent to pull down the new Fedora
>DVD, which SHOULD be able to saturate my network, it doesn't -- it gets
>limited to 200-250mbps.  I assume this isn't on my end because I can
>see
>those 950mbps speedtest results from the same endpoint on my end.
>
>Mind you, this isn't a completely fair comparison.  It is certainly
>possible that Comcast would also limit to 200-250mbps for peered links.
>I had no way to test that.  However, the fact that I'm paying half as
>much for almost 20x the bandwidth and the same number of static IPs
>made
>the decision pretty easy.
>
>Just my $0.02.
>
>-derek
>
>--
>       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>       derek at ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com
>       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

"no government by experts in which the masses do not have the chance to inform the experts as to their needs can be anything but an oligarchy managed in the interests of the few.” - John Dewey