[ale] Need a better Linux distro

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Jun 1 21:48:32 EDT 2020

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 16:13:58 -0400
Calvin Harrigan via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> On 6/1/2020 16:02, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
> > On Sun, 31 May 2020 23:50:32 -0400
> > Jeff Hubbs via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> >> As are all mine. Your point? :)
> > Depending on how old, initial compilation takes more than a day on
> > old computers. Even daily updates take awhile on old computers.
> >
> > I wonder if there's a way to do the initial compilations on a VM,
> > where they're very fast, and then rsync the results to root on the
> > iron machine?
> >
> > SteveT
> >
> > Steve Litt
> > May 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
> >       of the Successful Technologist
> > http://www.troubleshooters.com/techniques
>
> Hold are we talking about here?  My Computer is about 10 years old.
> An older AMD 955 with 20GB.

Ten years ago that 3.2Ghz 4 core was a hell of a machine. The 20GB RAM
is more than my current daily driver. I was talking about something
like a 2.5Ghz with 4GB or even 2GB.

> It handles Gentoo pretty well.  Most updates only takes a few minutes
> unless I'm updating kernels or some really big package.

Updates aren't the problem, assuming you have some time at night to let
the update run.

I was talking about the initial install. I've had initial Gentoo/Funtoo
installs direct to metal take 2 days on some older laptops.