[ale] upgrading desktop

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Jul 28 16:06:11 EDT 2020

What's your budget?  What's the goal?

Is the Lenovo using standard PSU and case? If it doesn't have a standard case, most major "upgrades" are risky. Need all the screws and clearances to be right.  OTOH, a $30 case for someone who doesn't open it more than once a year to clean out the dust is just fine.

The easy way to provide info about your current box, is to run:  inxi -Fz and post that.

$214 for MB+CPU combo:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/5003878/-amd-ryzen-5-3600-with-wraith-stealth-cooler,-asus-b450m-a-csm-prime,-cpu---motherboard-bundle The only negative I see with this is a crappy Realtek NIC, so I'd need to spend $25 on a quality NIC.  The forums are full of people with Realtek NIC issues. I have a G3258 with a flakey Realtek NIC. Ended up disabling it and throwing in an old cheap Marvell.

I need to check a few other MB+CPU combos to see what's available.  Microcenter almost always has some

With a standard case, that MB+CPU combo just needs some DDR4 RAM and a GPU.  That's almost 18K passmarks in 65W.  5 yrs ago, that was Xeon server performance.  My Ryzen 2600 is just 13K passmarks.  Reuse everything else you already have.

There's little purpose in doing a little upgrade to an 8 yr old CPU unless it is only a CPU swap and the newer one is 2x faster - minimal. However, an SSD would make a difference for pretty much any system.  I'm a fan of the Samsung 8xx and 9xx lines. Just be sure to check the warranty TBW numbers so you know what you are getting. I have a
model: Samsung_SSD_860 size: 500.1GB in a laptop. It is a SATA interface with a 2.5inch form factor standard for laptops.  I've never seen a 3.5inch form in any SATA.  I have seen m.2 for both SATA and NVMe, but you don't have any m.2 slots, so that won't work.  My rule for SSDs is pretty simple.  If they don't have a warranty based on TBW (endurance) or they refuse to publish that data, then I won't buy.  Their are a number of SSD "brands" which do that.  I've had a few SSDs fail over the years. They were much cheaper than the Samsung.
I also have a model: Micron_1100_MTFD size: 512.1GB.  Micron is who I think WD and Crucial buy their SSDs from.  I would have preferred to get a Samsung, but needed the storage for a build and was already over the budget. The Samsung was $30 more at the time.

When I was researching SSD lifespans and linux information, so things jumped out.  I'm a simple person and only recall when I make a decision to avoid certain types, not the details. Those decisions are based on my needs which probably don't meet anyone else's needs.  Do your own research.  Plus, it has been 18+ months since my last SSD purchase. The SSD world could have changed in that time.

How big should an SSD be?  How can we say? For some systems, 16G is too much. For others 2TB isn't enough.

Because you didn't say what CPU is currently used, we can't tell whether any upgrade is worth it.

280W is probably fine for anyone not dropping in a $130 GPU that needs extra power, but it completely depends on the current CPU draw and how much storage there is.