[ale] At&t fiber 1g symmetric for $59/m

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Jul 18 08:59:35 EDT 2020

I had Comcast business class for a long time.  It remained relatively solid
once I helped them debug a router fail over config issue that was causing
the service not to fail over when the primary router went down.  Oh, and
when I was able to get them on the phone during a neighborhood power outage
so they could find the fiber node battery that was dead.  However even tho
I was supposed to have a 4hr SLA they rarely lived up to that expectation.
Oh, and they were expensive.

I signed up for AT&T 1g fiber as soon as it became available.  My deal is
$70/mo for life, plus $15/mo for a /29, all in (no additional hardware
fees).  So about half of what I was paying Comcast for 20x download and
100x upload.

One thing I will point out however is that for real world usage I never see
more than 200-250mbps.  Even when I torrent a centos DVD, which should be
able to saturate, it won't.  My Comcast network was never fast enough to
test how they would compare, but it feels like AT&T interconnects are not
as robust.

Still, I am happy with the AT&T service.  I've only had outages due to
trees or bug machines ripping or breaking the fiber.  In those cases I have
sometimes had a multi day outage waiting for a tech to repair.  But beyond
those issues the service has been solid.

Oh, they will even let you insert rDNS records for your /29!

I have not tried to play with their IPv6 service lately.  I did a couple
years ago, but I couldn't pull more than 1-2mbps through it, which made it
completely useless behind an ostensibly 1g (or even 250mbps) pipe.  So I
gave up on that.

Oh, I also configured my network so that the modem is not in my data path.
This way I am not bitten by their nat table limits.  I was testing with a
colleague and they were able to throw me off the network by filling the nat
table from the outside!  Or I could do it inside by having local caching
nameservers.  Oops.  Well, that's no longer a problem for me.

Happy Linuxing everyone.

-derek
Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.