[ale] [EXTERNAL] Ultra cheap tablet discussion. Are they useful or can they be made useful?

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Wed Jul 1 10:34:58 EDT 2020

Thanks for all of the input regarding the cheap tablets.  I didn't mean to post this question to the list and disappear for a few days.  Anyway, I've just read through all the replies and suggestions.
It sounds like my suspicions are correct regarding these tablets being cheap junk.  The Amazon 7" tablet sounds like it would be of interest, if I an find the correct revision to purchase.
I was not aware of the Pinebook and PineTab products at all.   I really like the idea of that 11.6" Pinebook, but it is out of stock.  Being able to load up openSUSE, instead of fighting the uphill battle against a manufacturer who doesn't want my custom OS their hardware appeals more to me.

Maybe I should have explained my reason for asking these questions.  I've recently decided to exit the smart phone world, and to go back to a simple feature phone.  However, it would be nice to have a small tablet or netbook sized laptop to easily grab and go for somewhere that I may want to access the internet by wireless.
For the moment, I think I am going to replace the aging battery in my old iPhone 5, which runs IOS 12, and use it without a SIM as a mini-tablet.  It is in like new condition, since it has been in an Otterbox case since it was new.

Thanks.
Allen B.
--
Allen Beddingfield