[ale] NAS drives for eternal enclosure?

James Sumners (ALE) james+ale at sumners.email
Mon Dec 28 10:37:47 EST 2020

On December 14, 2020 at 23:13:24, Alex Carver via Ale (ale at ale.org) wrote:

On 2020-12-13 05:50, Leam Hall via Ale wrote:
> What's the difference between a regular drive and a NAS drive? The use
> case is a backup drive in a single disk Rosewill enclosure, for MacOS.

NAS drives are certified for continuous power-on and operation. Regular
drives are only rated for intermittent power-on with the expectation
that the host computer will be shut off daily.

Yeah, I’d just go with whatever drive meets the size requirements.TimeMachine is going to run on a set interval (hourly?) and other tools like CarbonCopyCloner will run on whatever schedule you determine. So there’s no need for a drive rated to run for hundreds of thousands of continuous hours. You just need something that will accept data on an interval and then go back to sleep.

(Sorry for the duped email. Forgot to change my From address.)