[ale] Fixing systemd and pulseaudio: was UEFI vs BIOS understanding

Jim Ransone jim.ransone at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 12:37:50 EST 2020

As a relatively non-technical person who uses my computer for audio
stuff, having to deal with alsa, pulseaudio, and jack has been a
confusing hassle. What I gathered from spending way too much time
reading and watching tutorials to figure this stuff out is that alsa is
the base level, pulseaudio rides on top of that and handles audio for
most common applications but lacks the low-latency necessary for audio
recording. Hence the need for Jack. Then you need to figure out how to
make jack and pulseaudio play nice and function along side each other.
It's a mess. Thankfully, the new version of Ardour recommends just using
alsa by itself. It makes sense that this would be faster. And it
prevents me from spiraling down a rabbit hole of confusion trying to
figure out why my audio isn't working. So now I have no need for Jack at
all, and pulseaudio does whatever it does without bothering me. The only
downside is that when Ardour is running, youtube videos will not play. A
little annoying, but I can live with it.

Jim