[ale] Slightly OT: Looking for recommendation for 24 port POE Switch preferably Cisco

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Sat Dec 19 11:03:18 EST 2020

Thanks for the reply.

On 2020-12-19 09:52, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Please don't take offense but I find a church needing a technology
> upgrade ironic.

Ironic because our pre-school has been running, providing distance
learning to children of health-care workers and teachers and other
essential workers, so that we've got 20-30 Zoom sessions running over
our 200Mbit Comcast service?

> I am not a Cisco fan. Netgear is plenty sufficient. They have several
> models with PoE in a variety of port counts and run about 1/2 the co$t
> of cisco.

Yeah, I'm not wedded to Cisco. I like(d) the port testing capabilities,
when they actually worked.

Model numbers for netgear?  Is there a distributor you like for refurbs?

> Oh. There's probably a failed battery causing the date problem.

Yeah, I thought about that.  It's an old switch.  I don't intend to even
breath on it until it's on the bench and another switch is working.
Maybe an firmware update would help, but again, not jumping of a cliff
with that parachute.

> Noise will persist with PoE thanks to higher heat loading. For some
> setups it's cheaper to PoE power injectors for the endpoints than use
> full PoE switches.

The existing switch has POE turned on for all ports, although it's only
apparently sending power on about 6.