[ale] Multi-Monitor Behavior

David Jackson deepbsd.ale at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 17:56:08 EST 2020

Hey all,

I just built a Black Friday box and installed Arch (less than 10 min with
my spanking Farchi script!), but now I have a curious behavior that I think
has to do with a power savings setting I'm not aware of.

I'm using Cinnamon with LightDM.  When I come back to my two displays
(primary HDMI and secondary DP), all apps that are open wind up on the
primary display only.  Everything that had been on the slave display gets
moved to the primary.  I've been using Cinnamon/LightDM for a long time,
and I've never seen this behavior before.

My theory is that the secondary display is trying to power off, but the
primary doesn't power off, and the WM moves all apps to the only monitor it
sees still "awake."

The behavior I want and had with the previous box (previous to the Black
Friday build) is Both monitors hibernate and the apps stay where they
were.  As it appears now, I cannot catch either monitor hibernating.  The
machine itself is NOT suspending or hibernating.  I don't have the ACPI
settings set to hibernate the computer.  I just want the monitors to
hibernate.  That's what I'm going for.  (The new mobo is a Gigabyte Z390M
BTW.)

Any ideas about what's going on?  All help welcomed in thinking through
this.  TIA!

Dave