[ale] [EXTERNAL] Re: No more CentOS as an LTS release

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Tue Dec 8 20:03:25 EST 2020

Most people I know view it as "free Red Hat without support".  Now the free option has been removed for the exact same thing.  I think most of those people will peel off to Oracle's free Linux offering, or move over to openSUSE Leap or Ubuntu LTS.
We are almost 100% a SUSE shop, and to avoid paying for physical server licenses, we've started putting openSUSE Leap (it is to SLES what CentOS is/was to RHEL) on them.  We just do the blanket virtualization host licenses with support for VMs.  We have a few things around that require RHEL, which are on CentOS.  I'll be moving them to OEL.
Allen B.

--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer