[ale] Voting machines

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Dec 8 13:35:20 EST 2020

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 11:44:36 -0500
DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> I disagree with having any voting machines at all. They are a waste
> of money, add complexity where it isn't needed.
>
> Voting in Georgia has 2 complex processes (election day and early
> voting) and 1 simple process (absentee) when only 1 simple process
> is needed.  Pen and paper.
>
> Why make it harder than that?
>
> Pen and paper can be used for absentee, early and election day
> voting. Humans (election workers) don't need to learn 2 complex
> processes and waste time setting up computers, securing power,
> equipment, and generally wasting money for things not directly
> related to reading a ballot.
>
> Paper ballots scale by adding tables and chairs.
> Power outages don't stop voting.
>
> Missing memory cards?  Huh? Why is that even a thing?  Human training
> failures will continue to happen, as long as the processes are
> complex.
>
> Pen and paper is the answer.

I wholeheartedly agree. And you know who else does? Richard Stallman.
In a long email thread kind of like this one, at my local LUG, Stallman
said that open source, close source, any source, computers introduce an
opportunity to hack the election. And there are untold numbers of
entities, countries and parties who want to rig our elections.

People, in pairs, people who don't know each other can do the counting
and all administration. Do it the same way a business counts large
amounts of cash.

I think it was 2004 when Ohio used Diebold voting machines. The head of
Diebold made a statement that he was going to do everything possible
for a Bush victory. I don't care what party you're in, if talk like
that doesn't discourage you from using computers anywhere near voting,
I don't know what would.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive