[ale] Computer build requirements list

David Jackson deepbsd.ale at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 12:58:58 EDT 2020

The beauty of pcpartpicker.com is that you can mix parts list components
very easily.  If you want to swap or add a drive or whatever, you can do
that very easily, and the filter will warn you about any incompatibilities
that exist or about things you might not have thought about.  For example,
if you have an mATX case with an ATX motherboard, or if your CPU cooler
doesn't fit the socket, or if you need a special adapter or what not.
Pcpartpicker tries to help out with that stuff.

For example when different versions of AM4 bios come out, there were
warnings to update your bios and so forth.

Also, there are lots of other folks building on the site, and they share
their builds (pictures and comments and stuff--what worked and what didn't).

The site doesn't always catch the latest prices, but they're pretty close.
For example, it doesn't really take into account Micro Center CPU/mobo
bundles and in-store specials, at least not all of them.  Also, places like
Micro Center will often (or always?) match online deals.  But, the prices
are still pretty helpful from pcpartpicker.com.   You could, for example,
take your pcpartpicker.com part list (print out) into Micro Center and see
if they will match or beat any of the prices you'd get online.  During
Black Friday deals week, MC smashed the best prices from pcpartpicker, for
example.  Probably just depends on supplies.

Anyway, have fun with the build!  :-D