[ale] [OT] Philosophy of Restoring from Backup

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 08:26:14 EDT 2020

For some reason the Thunderbird and Firefox folks thought trashing
rollback capability was a good thing. Guess I need to find
replacements, or stick with the really old stuff.

Since I needed to change OS anyway, I pulled that root drive and
popped in another one. Besides the loss of a few e-mails due to Tbird
issues, my backups were current. On a new OS within a couple hours,
ready to resume my old life.

But do I really want to? I have my entire home directory backed up and
can restore with a few commands. I've done it for years. But that
means years of cruft hiding in dot files, a lot of disk space used,
and a variety of other potential issues.

Sometimes it is good to pause at the beginning of a project and decide
if that is worth the portion of your life it will take, and choices it
will decide for you.

Leam