[ale] Help with data recovery

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Aug 24 18:58:34 EDT 2020

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 16:19:39 -0400
Jim Ransone via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> This indicates to me that you are right, Bob. The password was the
> password. There is no other key that's being created and stored
> somewhere. It also would seem to indicate that the password is
> somewhere on the backup drive, but I don't have any idea where on the
> drive that would be.

Assuming you're correct that the password is the one and only thing
needed to unlock the backup, then try your remembered password, write
down the error message, then try it with a known bad password (try
"knownbadpassword") and see if the error message is different. If
different, it's very likely you had the right password the first time
and something else is going wrong. If the error message is the same,
it's probable the password isn't what you remember it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive