[ale] Help with data recovery

David Jackson deepbsd.ale at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 13:42:21 EDT 2020

This story hurts.  I think you're right about asking on this list, though.
Lots of experienced people here.  I'm not familiar with Deja Dup, but I
think many cryptographic key paradigms require two keys.  A personal or
private key, and a public key (a remote key).  When you encrypt for someone
else, you use their remote (public) key to encrypt it, and they decrypt it
with their private key.  And vice versa--a remote party encrypts a
message/data for you with your public key, which you decrypt with your
private key. (I'm thinking of GPG/PGP here....)

So I'm guessing the private key was in the home directory somewhere.  But,
wait, if Deja Dup didn't have access to the private key before the
decryption process, how would it decrypt the data?  Wouldn't that require
that the private key was accessible before the decryption, so therefore the
private key was stored somewhere else on the hard drive?  Err, which is
gone now?  I would re-read the Deja Dup manual and hopefully find out where
that private key gets stored, or maybe even backed up remotely at
dejadup.com or something?  Or does Deja Dup not use two keys but only one?
Might be useful to find out.  Maybe search "data recovery" at dejadup.com
or something?

All that said, I could see encrypting a partition on a device that contains
sensitive data as well as is easily stolen, such as a laptop or something.
But even so, encryption is so powerful that I probably would only use it on
smaller segments of data that wouldn't affect the system as a whole.

All the best to you, Jim.  I hate it when "tech learning" becomes this
painful!