[ale] duplicating a working system for backup.

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 16:07:30 EDT 2020

My system is currently running Fedora 32 on a 8 TB hard drive. My
original backup drive went on a four foot dive to a hard floor. To
confirm the damage I powered it up and my wife could hear the screeching
sound it made downstairs. I have since bought a 10 TB HDD and originally
hooked it up to my PC and booted from DVD and did a dd if=/dev/sda
of=/dev/sdb. After 5 days it was still running and as in my rush to just
get started I didn't take time to look up means of monitoring status so
I thought maybe it was hung even though it looked like it was still
working under ps -ef.

The original drive is divided up into 3 partitions with part 1 starting
at sector 2048, I don't remember why, I just remember that it was
necessary for gpt drives. part 1 is set for 1Meg or 2048 sectors and is
the BIOS Boot, part 2 is my /boot for Linux @ 1.2G and part 3 is the
rest of the drive fully encrypted with dmcrypt and this contains the
rest of the filesystems (/, /home, & /pub) I have several image files of
CDs and DVDs which is my music and video libraries as well as various
linux distributions and many PDFs. I assume that the delays were on the
image files as when I went ahead and pulled the plug and rebooted the
new drive had some serious file system issues. Once fsck did it's thing
I wound with about 5 TB of lost files. Then I started having issues
bouncing back and forth between the 2 hdds due to the UUIDs being the
same which I had forgotten about.

So I wound up removing the new drive completely and rebooted several
times (both cold and warm boots) with the original drive and everything
seemed okay with dev/sda again. I have since reconnected the new drive
after totally disconnecting the main drive and booting from DVD I did dd
if=/dev/urando of=/dev/sda (which was the 10TB HDD at that time). So now
I'm back at square one. I want to backup my whole system onto the 10TB
HDD and if need be, be able to swap out the drive and pick up from the
last backup. I normally use rsync for my weekly backups using Flash
Drives and a HDD. What's the best and quickest way to do this, to have a
totally bootable working system on my backup HDD?

Thanks for any advice

--
Sent to you and NSA, CIA, FBI, SS, DHS and GOD only knows who the hell else...