[ale] Building computers

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 09:03:30 EDT 2020

I keep 30-50 tabs open in firefox. No problems. Regularly have 15-20 in firefox on my phone. I've used "bookmark all" just before an upgrade. I've become complacent and never close the browser. I'll shutdown the machine sporadically and let firefox recover on restart. My phone is set to wipe all traces of use on firefox and iceweasel shutdown.

On August 12, 2020 8:02:52 AM EDT, William Bagwell via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>On Tuesday 11 August 2020, David Jackson via Ale wrote:
>> Okay, yeah.  Now I get it.  I remember buying a Dell once, and it was
>> really weird.  I think at the time I was Mr. Mom and struggling to
>keep up
>> with an infant, so I just bought something that was on sale.
>
>"Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes." Best line in the whole movie! This
>makes
>the third time I have managed to use this joke in all these years;-)
>
>As to Dell and why every one hates it: This thread *almost* inspired me
>build a computer for the first time in over 12 years. OS is that old
>and the
>computer might be as much as two years older. Have a much newer
>computer and
>hate it. Hate every possible aspect of it.
>
>Let me back up and explain why it's a Dell. About four years ago wife
>needed
>a new computer. (Sadly not a Linux user...) Wanted to get one of the
>last of
>the '7s' before they were no longer available so we went to closest
>place
>that resembles a computer store (Staples) and bought one for ~$400.
>Came
>with malware pre-installed. Will spare the details but none of her
>previous
>computers nor the replacement refurb from Microcenter (also a Dell)
>ever had
>the problems this one did.
>
>So, it became my new computer. Pain to install Linux (Magiea, old box
>is
>still Mandriva) only partially due to it being years since I had
>installed
>anything new. Immediately gave up any notions of dual booting (not that
>needed too, just wanted the experience to help others) as it will let
>you
>think you have succeeded then trample all over the boot loader the
>first
>time you boot back to the evil OS.
>
>Hated the case. So, I bought a build case. Tight on money at the time
>so not
>the one I really wanted... Now have plenty of room and front USB ports
>which
>my old one lacks, but still not happy with it. BTW, changing a case is
>almost as much work as building one without the satisfaction of being
>able
>to say you built your computer.
>
>Could go on however this thread also educated me to the real reason I
>hate
>it. Bloated web browsers! Yes, I'm a tab junkie. Keep a bunch of forums
>open
>at all times. Worked great on the old box, slow as molasses in winter
>on the
>newer one. Been moving my daily reads one by one to the new box this
>year as
>they fall like dominos on the old one. SSL, "No cypher overlap"...

> [...]

"no government by experts in which the masses do not have the chance to inform the experts as to their needs can be anything but an oligarchy managed in the interests of the few.” - John Dewey