[ale] OT: My Biggest PC Build Blunders

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 19:31:46 EDT 2020

I got a call about a dead pc in a doctors office. This one was mission critical so away I went.

It booted fine. Ran for about 2 minutes then shutdown. Rinse and repeat. Opened the case to find a large palmetto bug jamming the cpu fan.

Had a new system on the build bench in boxes. Lightning storm hit my street. It hit a tree less than 5' from the wall I was next to. Packaged fluorescent tubes glowed so hot they melted the plastic shrink wrap to themselves. The EMP induced a voltage in the network wiring that destroyed every computer nic instantly and everything else in the case failed over the next week. 20+ systems and all hard drives, backups, tape controllers, monitors, every part. All TVs and radios failed within 2 weeks. Luckily, the brand new first gen 64-bit AMD server for a customer was spared. Too bad my workstation with same parts was not.

--
"no government by experts in which the masses do not have the chance to inform the experts as to their needs can be anything but an oligarchy managed in the interests of the few.” - John Dewey