[ale] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: upgrading desktop

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 19:22:22 EDT 2020

Fanless! Liquid cooling with hot side exchanger in another room.

I've considered tinkering with liquid cooling and using a 40 gal hot water tank connected to my house water as a cool water reservoir and a pre-heater tank for the real hot water heater. As a side benefit, I can drink it if the water goes out. That 3 day outage when the 36" main was down was less than fun.

On August 10, 2020 7:16:38 PM EDT, DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>On 8/10/20 4:00 PM, David Jackson via Ale wrote:
>> Noctua fans have the reputation of being the quietest on the market,
>> although newer companies (like BeQuiet) are now giving them lots of
>> competition.
>
>I just replaced a 120mm Roswill fan with a 120mm Noctua yesterday. I'm
>still tweaking the noise and rpm settings. The MB is set to "silent"
>for this new fan. It is a steady sound, unlike the Roswill.
>
>Because I have multiple systems and multiple external arrays near each
>other, it isn't always easy to pick out where noise originates ...
>besides "in the back, over there."  ;)

"no government by experts in which the masses do not have the chance to inform the experts as to their needs can be anything but an oligarchy managed in the interests of the few.” - John Dewey