[ale] upgrading desktop

Bob bobabc at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 10 13:31:08 EDT 2020

A couple more questions relating to building a desktop.

1)  My wife is sensitive to noise, and we're often working in the same
office at home.  She has mentioned that my current=old desktop is noisy.
  Even though I don't notice it unless I think about it, I have to agree.

When building a new desktop, what things can/should I do to keep it
reasonably quiet?

2)  I have to record several hours of video each week.  I'm using
obs-studio, and I think obs-studio has suggested a lower resolution due
to the weak cpu.

For the new desktop I'm leaning towards a cheap graphics card as
suggested by several along with the ryzen 5 3600 on a B450 motherboard.
(I'm not interested in gaming.)  Is the cheap graphics card still a
reasonable choice if I have to record video?

BTW, something along the following is what I'm leaning towards building now:

>> I tend to think the most "bang for the buck" system today (in my mind)
>> would be a B450 motherboard with a Ryzen 5 3600, 16G RAM at about 3200 or
>> faster, and I would go for an NVMe M.2 SSD at around 500G.  You can use a
>> cheap video card (about $35) and the case and power supply as your budget
>> and preference dictates.  Power supplies and cases are a bit more expensive
>> these days, thanks to COVID-challenged supplies, but memory, ssd's and CPUs
>> are relatively cheap.  This system would cost you about $550-600 or so,
>> depending on your choices.  One example:
>> https://pcpartpicker.com/user/deepbsd/saved/#view=6tqG3C

--Bob