[ale] upgrading desktop

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Aug 2 17:08:52 EDT 2020

> I'll keep the current window manager for one reason.  My mom is using
> linux mint with the cinnamon desktop.  On the rare occasions when she
> calls with a problem with her computer, it's a lot easier to help if
> I'm using the same system here.

Why not just remote into her system and fix the problem?  I did that when my Mom was alive. I also would backup her most important files weekly, in addition to her having a local backup disk running Back-In-Time automatically taking copies every hour.  Just had her leave the system on overnight on Fridays.

>> Don't forget to use fstrim on your SSD (fstrim /) at least once a
>> week to keep the SSD running smoothly.
>
> Will do.

Ubuntu has this setup in the weekly crontab already. I'd assumed all modern distros do it. The command isn't complex - /etc/cron.weekly/fstrim