[ale] Samba question

Fritz Krieg fritzp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 10:31:18 EDT 2020

Hoping someone here can help me as neither my co-worker nor I are samba
experts but have been forced to rely on it heavily in our current
environment due to decisions made by management.

We have a series of mounts that are basically file dumps from various
different offices/users that we are then sharing via samba. Despite the
files on the underlying filesystem being 440 when the filesystem is mounted
the files are suddenly all 555. This is obviously problematic for various
reasons. In addition when we mount the ffilesystem suddenly everything
shows up as owned by the mounter not whoever owns it on the underlying
filesystem. e.g.:

on server:
-r--r----- 1 userA groupA 456 Apr 16 date.sh

on client:
-r-xr-xr-x 1 userB groupA 456 Apr 16 date.sh

where userB is the name of the user mounting the filesystem.

Here is the relevant part of the stanzas in smb.conf:
writable = yes
browsable = yes
create mask = 0644
directory mask = 0755
hide unreadable = yes
inherit acls = yes

and here is the mount statement being used:
sudo mount.cifs <server share> <mount point> -o
vers=3.0,uid=<userB>,cruid<userB>,gid=<groupA>,domain=<domain>,sec=krb5

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this so that the file ownership and
the permissions aren't overridden?

Fritz