[ale] Is there anybody we don't hate too much for Refurbs?

neal at mnopltd.com neal at mnopltd.com
Sun Oct 27 14:45:57 EDT 2019

Thanks to all for replies.   We do actually back up all the important
bits via robocopy:
- to a Samba share on our Centos box with mirrored drives;
- to a WD Passport drive that sits either in the safe when home, or
travels with us.

EPILOGUE:
- After more digging, we determined that MS Does Still provide the Win7
to Win10 in-place upgrade.  You just have to download the Win10 Media
Creation tool.
- Rather than do a fresh install, and re-install every dang application,
having backed up the above-mentioned important bits, we did the in-place
upgrade.  Worked mostly fine.
- Griped about the NVidia geoforce video driver being incompatible, and
reverted to the generic VGA driver.  Installed a later (March 2014)
video driver from Dell site, which has it almost all fixed. (19xx by
1080 looks good, dual monitors ok, but very specific parts of the Win10
menu are whacky)
- Ordered another 4GB of RAM for $19.

If we had seen any indication of soft errors on the HD I'd certainly
replace it and clone old drive to new.  I can't remember if I put in a
new drive when we bought that one.   I figure drives are the only moving
part subject to wear.    Our servers and desktops sit on a Best Ferrups
UPS and it seems they lead a sheltered life- never had a drive failure.
  They die of obsolescence or boredom.

regards,

Neal