[ale] SSD stuck in R/O.

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Oct 9 21:51:27 EDT 2019

On 2019-10-09 18:08, Chris Fowler via Ale wrote:
> I've got this odd problem with a SSD that I've only seen twice. At some point it becomes read-only. The kernel has not clue about this problem . There are no printk() messages. All writes to the SSD appear to work, but at boot everything that happened during that boot is gone.
>
> I know the date it happened because everything in /var/log/messages after 9/18 is from the current boot only.
>
> Where does this data go? If I am not truly writing to SSD where are the bits being stored before I do the reboot and they are all gone?

You tripped the protection mechanism on the SSD.  It sounds like it's
exhausted the total number of writes so it locked the drive.  When you
write something the data just goes into the bit bucket (or to the large
RAM cache on board)

Make sure your machine is not doing things like updating access times on
files and other such events because that runs up the wear indication
register.