[ale] I was hacked!

dj-pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Nov 4 15:47:02 EST 2019

> The new server will not allow password access to ssh.  Only allow ssh
> keys.  There are only 3 users on this machine and I'm the only one who
> would know what to do with root access, so I'll have sudo permission and
> no one else.

Why allow remote root at all?  That's like giving up 50% of the guessing for credentials.
We always ssh in using keys and normal user accounts, then use sudo.

I cannot remember the last time I remoted into any machine using root directly. Perhaps 2006?  First thing I do on any new machine is add an account with sudo rights.